Paleo Apple Pie Recipe -- grain/gluten/dairy/egg/refine sugar-free
Yay! I'm so excited I was able to get this recipe out to you before Thanksgiving! Although the holiday is tomorrow, this Apple Pie Recipe is so easy to make that you have plenty of time.
As you know, I posted the recipe for the crust last week. This crust can be used to make any of your favorite pies, so it deserved it's own post. You'll need only 4 ingredients to make it and no eggs are needed.
Back to the Apple Pie... You may be wondering why I didn't give it the traditional look, covering the apples with a criss-crossed crust. There are two reasons: number one, topping my apple pie with a streusel topping gives it an awesome crunch and texture, and it enhances the flavor just like in this Apple Crisp recipe. Number two, topping the pie with the streusel is so much easier and less time consuming (which I'm always all about).
Perhaps the only time consuming part of making this pie, is peeling and slicing the apples. But then again, there's no way around this step when making an apple pie.
If you choose, you can double the recipe for the crust and use it to cover the apples. I suggest you chill half the dough in the freezer or refrigerator, so that the dough is easier to roll and handle.
The apple filling is made from organic, tart grainy smith apples. You can use any apples of your preference though.
The apples are coated in the most delicious caramel sauce. The sauce is made with organic coconut palm sugar and coconut milk.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and serve it to your friends and family this holiday season. If you do, please share your photo and feedback below in the comments section. I’d love to hear from you and see your creations! Happy Healthy Thanksgiving!
Let’s get baking! This pie is sure to be a hit, but if you need some more dessert ideas for the holidays check out these popular and easy thanksgiving recipes.
Paleo Apple Pie Recipe (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- In a large bowl, mix together the apples, lime juice, coconut oil, and cinnamon.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the coconut palm sugar and water. Heat mixture over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Mix in the coconut milk, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and pour caramel over the apples. Toss apples until they are fully coated in with the sauce. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together using your hands. Mixture will be crumbly.
To assembly Apple Pie:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spoon apple filling over the chilled crust, then distribute the streusel over the apples.
- Bake pie for 10 minutes at 400°F.
- Reduce temperature to 325°F, and cover pie with aluminum foil. Bake for another 40 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Cool pie completely on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.