Healthy Nutella, is it possible? Well, I think if you make your own using raw hazelnuts, unsweetened chocolate and sweeten it with raw honey or some other unrefined sweetener the answer is yes. However, this is still a treat and not something I would be eating for breakfast everyday. With that said, this recipe is a great alternative to the store bought version and I am sure you will love it.
Here is another recipe I wrote for Nutella that you might like. Both this recipe and the other are gluten, soy and refined sugar free.
- 1 cup hazelnut butter (recipe)
- 3½ tablespoons 100% dark, unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2½ tablespoons raw honey (add more if you like it sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 6 tablespoons water or milk of your choice (e.g. almond, hazelnut, coconut, raw milk)
- melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water
- once chocolate is melted, stir in the hazelnut butter, then the cacao powder, honey, vanilla, salt, coconut oil and water or milk
- store in an airtight container
Recipe yields about 15 ounces or just under 2 cups. Keep refrigerated.