I have never been a coffee drinker but I do like coffee ice cream and it is my husband’s favorite flavor of ice cream. He hinted to me so many times to make this that I decided to surprise him with this recipe the other night. We had a bowl for dessert and the next day I came home from work and there were about three bites left. I guess he ate the whole thing with a friend while I was gone. I do not blame him… I have to admit this was a really good coffee ice cream!
This ice cream is very easy to make and you can tweak it by adding more or less coffee depending on how rich you like the coffee flavor. Next time I will be making my own chocolate chips to add extra smoothness to it.
- 3 tablespoons organic ground coffee
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or homemade chocolate
- in a saucepan whisk together the coffee, coconut milk, arrowroot powder, egg, honey and salt
- heat mixture slowly over medium heat until it starts to bubble and thickens, stirring frequently
- let it cool, mix in the vanilla extract and refrigerate overnight
- stir the chocolate chips into the chilled mixture and process in your ice cream maker
Recipe yields 1 quart.