This Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream not only has a rich tropical flavor, it is also creamy and smooth. Dairy free and paleo.
For this recipe I combined two of Hawaii's exotic fruits, pineapple and coconut. Chunks of fresh pineapple and coconut turned this recipe into a truly indulgent ice cream.
This ice cream not only has a rich tropical flavor, it is also creamy and smooth. I was able to achieve this texture by preparing a fresh batch of coconut milk and combining that with an egg, arrowroot powder, vanilla and raw, unrefined honey. The result was simply delicious! Enjoy.
Note: Instead of making your own coconut milk using unsweetened shredded coconut and water, you can use 2 ½ cups of full fat coconut milk from a can. Also, I was able to buy a mature fresh coconut that had very thick meat inside. Alternatively, you can add dried coconut flakes to your ice cream.
Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream (Dairy-free, Paleo)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- pinch fine himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- ½ cup fresh coconut meat, chopped (or dried coconut flakes)
- Begin by making the fresh coconut milk by blending the water and shredded coconut in a blender for 2 minutes. Strain the milk into a medium saucepan using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth (this should yield 2 ½ cups of coconut milk). Alternatively, you can use 2 ½ cups of full fat coconut milk from can.
- Whisk in the arrowroot powder until dissolved, then mix in the egg, raw honey and salt.
- Bring mixture to a light boil slowly over medium heat, stirring frequently. Once it starts to bubble, remove from heat and mix in the vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate overnight and process the chilled mixture in your ice cream maker.
- Mix the chopped pineapple and coconut meat into the ice cream and serve.
Nutrition per serving
*This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.