Healthy Nutella, is it possible? Well, I think if you make your own using raw hazelnuts, unsweetened chocolate and sweeten it with raw honey or some other unrefined sweetener the answer is yes. However, this is still a treat and not something I would be eating for breakfast everyday. With that said, this recipe is a great alternative to the store bought version and I am sure you will love it.
Here is another recipe I wrote for Nutella that you might like. Both this recipe and the other are gluten, soy and refined sugar free.
Homemade Nutella, Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread
- 1 cup hazelnut butter, recipe
- 3 1/2 tablespoons 100% dark, unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons raw honey, add more if you like it sweeter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 6 tablespoons water or milk of your choice, e.g. almond, hazelnut, coconut, raw milk
- melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water
- once chocolate is melted, remove from stove and stir in the hazelnut butter, cacao powder, honey, vanilla, salt, coconut oil and water or milk with a spoon.
- store in an airtight container
Recipe yields about 15 ounces or just under 2 cups. Keep refrigerated.