Learn how to make Double Chocolate Chip Cookies without using any grain or nut flours. These soft and chewy cookies have an intense chocolate flavor, and are also gluten-free and Paleo-friendly.
Since I continue to get requests from many of you for more nut-free recipes, I decided to show you how you can bake double chocolate chip cookies using seeds as the base for these cookies.
Seeds are a great alternative because they also give baked goods a great texture and flavor. In this recipe, I’m using a combination of sunflower and flax seeds. Other seeds like pumpkin and sesame seeds work as well. You can combine these seeds together, or use just one of them to make these cookies. If seeds are not your favorite, you can substitute them with almond or cashew flour as well.
Watch my instructional video above as I talk more about these substitutions and give you more information. In my video, I also tell you how you can substitute the egg with flax or chia ‘egg’, and I give you alternatives to using butter in case you can’t eat dairy.
These cookies take no time to make and are delicious. The chocolate melts in your mouth when you take a bite and I love that feeling! They are perfect for chocolate lovers who have serious dietary restrictions. Enjoy 🙂
Healthy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (Nut-free, Grain-free, Gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup (84g) raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup (71g) flax seeds, or flax seed meal (brown or golden)
- 1/2 cup (58g) raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup (71g) unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
- 8 tablespoons (107g) cold butter , ghee, palm shortening or coconut oil*
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (148g) 70% dark chocolate chips
- Grind the sunflower and flax seeds in a food processor until it has a flour-like texture.
- Add the cacao powder, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt, and pulse to combine the ingredients. Then add the butter, egg and vanilla extract and pulse again until the dough comes together.
- Mix in the chocolate chips using a spatula, and then drop tablespoons full of the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the cookies with your fingers slightly and add some additional chocolate chips on top if you desire.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Let them cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack.