Today’s new recipe is for a moist Caramel Pumpkin Cake topped with my homemade caramel sauce. Just in time for Thanksgiving this week!
Unlike other traditional pumpkin cake recipes, this cake uses a flour blend made of skinless finely ground almonds and cassava starch. This a great gluten-and-grain-free flour base that provides the same fluffy and light texture of wheat-based flours.
Apple sauce and coconut oil are used in the batter to make the cake moist, and a dash of cinnamon adds the perfect spice that really complements the pumpkin flavor.
Topping the cake is my famous homemade caramel sauce recipe. This recipe is made simply with coconut sugar and coconut milk, a dash of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt for seasoning. Ten minutes is all you need to make the most delicious caramel sauce!
I really like serving my cake with either vanilla ice cream or fresh coconut whipped cream. It makes this dessert so decadent that if you serve it like this to your guests too, everyone will love it!
If you make this cake I want to see a photo of it! Please post your photo in the comments below and on Instagram using the hashtag #livinghealthywithchocolate so I can find it!
I want to know what healthy dessert recipes you’d like me to develop for Christmas OK? Please share your ideas with me in the comments below.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am THANKFUL for YOU being here, making my recipes, reading my blog and sharing your stories and health goals with me ❤️?.
This delicious, healthy Caramel Pumpkin Cake recipe is Paleo, Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free.
- 2 cups (215g) blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup (32g) cassava flour (or tapioca flour)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup (124g) apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (92g) coconut sugar
- Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch square or round cake pan with parchment paper, making sure the paper covers the bottom and sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, cassava flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Place the yolk of the eggs in a large bowl and reserve the egg whites in a separate large bowl. Mix the egg yolks with the pumpkin puree, coconut oil, apple sauce, vanilla and coconut sugar until combined.
- Using a spatula, mix the wet and dry ingredients together just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks. Mix the whipped eggs gently with a spoon into the batter until everything is just combined. Do not overwork your batter.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Set pan on a cooling rack to cool. After about 20 minutes remove cake from pan and let it continue to cool on the rack.
- Prepare the caramel sauce and refrigerate until ready to serve.