These nutri-grain bars contain no grains at all and taste almost identical to the original Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars. They look similar too and this recipe is Paleo, Vegan, grain-free, gluten-free and refined sugar-free.
Now I can truly say this is a healthy snack! The contrary is true with the original, so called healthy Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars. Check out the list of ingredient they use.
CRUST: WHOLE GRAIN OATS, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN B1 [THIAMIN MONONITRATE], VITAMIN B2 [RIBOFLAVIN], FOLIC ACID), WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SOYBEAN AND/OR CANOLA OIL, SOLUBLE CORN FIBER, SUGAR, DEXTROSE, FRUCTOSE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, WHEY, WHEAT BRAN, SALT, CELLULOSE, POTASSIUM BICARBONATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MONO-AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, WHEAT GLUTEN, NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, CARRAGEENAN, ZINC OXIDE, REDUCED IRON, GUAR GUM, VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN), FILLING: INVERT SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, BLUEBERRY PUREE CONCENTRATE, GLYCERIN, SUGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SODIUM ALGINATE, CITRIC ACID, METHYLCELLULOSE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MALIC ACID, BLUEBERRY JUICE CONCENTRATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED 40, BLUE 1
It is tiring just skimming through the words on the list....
My recipe is simple and the main ingredients for the crust are almond flour, arrowroot powder and flaxseed meal.
I have to say that shaping them was not the easiest thing, but well worth the effort.
The Sugar-free Blueberry Butter filling is simply blueberries and no sugar or other ingredients are added.
Homemade Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- ⅓ cup arrowroot powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch fine himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons raw honey, or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
- sugar free blueberry butter, recipe
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, flaxseed meal, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, banking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut oil, vanilla, honey and coconut milk.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients to form a dough and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until it's firmer.
- Roll the dough into a ball and press between 2 sheets of parchment paper to ¼-inch thickness.
- Remove top piece of parchment paper, then cut dough into 3x2-inch rectangles with a pizza cutter or pastry chopper.
- Spoon approximately 2 teaspoons of the blueberry butter onto one side of each rectangle, leaving a ½-inch border.
- Carefully lift the empty side and fold, pressing the edges to closed.
- Sprinkle with ground flaxseed on top.
- Transfer onto baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven to 350°F for 9-11 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Set on a wire rack to cool.