What to do when these heavenly passion fruits are in season here in the tropics? I think a refreshing, cold, smooth and creamy popsicle is a delicious way to enjoy them! So for this recipe I combined the pulp of 8 passion fruits with full fat coconut milk , egg, arrowroot powder and sweetened it a little with raw coconut palm sugar. If you have been following me you know that mixing arrowroot powder with eggs and coconut milk (or heavy cream) gives the ice cream a smooth and creamy texture even when frozen without an ice cream machine.
Creamy Passion Fruit Popsicles (dairy free, low carb, paleo)
- pulp from 8 passion fruits, about 1 ⅓ cups
- 1 can, 13.5 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons raw coconut palm sugar
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- reserve ¼ cup of passion fruit pulp and add the remaining pulp to a blender along with the coconut milk
- blend for a minute or so, and strain the milk into a medium saucepan using a fine mesh strainer
- whisk the arrowroot powder until dissolved, then mix in the coconut palm sugar, egg, reserved ¼ cup of passion fruit pulp and salt
- heat the mixture slowly, stirring constantly until it starts to bubble and thickens
- let it cool, fill your popsicle mold with the mixture, insert sticks and freeze
- to release the popsicles from the mold, dip mold in a bowl with warm water for 30 seconds
Recipe yields 10 popsicles.