This easy homemade Ferrero Rocher recipe uses my homemade nutella to create a healthier chocolate dessert loaded with hazelnuts and naturally sweetened.
This recipe is Paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free.
These little truffles have always been my all time favorite chocolate. I am crazy for chocolate and hazelnuts together.
My challenge this past weekend was to recreate them using real food ingredients and make them taste as good or better than the original.
You would think that the original Ferrero Rocher sold in stores are made simply of hazelnuts and chocolate, but that is not the case at all! Check out the list of inflammatory ingredients these innocent looking truffles contain:
Milk chocolate (30%) (Sugar, Cocoa butter, Cocoa mass, Skim milk powder, Anhydrous milkfat, Emulsifier: soy lecithin, Flavouring: Vanillin), Hazelnuts (30%), Sugar, Vegetable oil, Wheat flour,Whey powder, Fat-reduced cocoa powder, Emulsifier (Soy lecithin), Skim milk powder, Raising agent (Sodium bicarbonate), Salt, Flavouring (Vanillin). Total Cocoa solids: 15.8% / in Milk Chocolate: 42%."Contains Milk, Hazelnut, Gluten, Soy".
I thought it would be hard to replicate them at first, but these are super simple to make and there are just a few steps you need to follow. These are the healthiest and most delicious chocolate/hazelnut truffles you'll ever eat.
Enjoy and please leave me your feedback and comments below.
Homemade Ferrero Rocher
- ¾ cup raw hazelnuts, skin removed*
- 5 tablespoons homemade nutella, recipe 1 or recipe 2*
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch fine himalayan salt
- ¼ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon cacao butter
- Pulse ½ cup hazelnuts in a food processor until fine meal. This should yield ¾ cup of hazelnut meal. Reserve the remaining ¼ cup and chop into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix together the hazelnut meal, homemade nutella, coconut oil, vanilla, cacao powder, flaxseed meal, maple syrup and salt. I like using gloves and mixing by hand.
- Make about 16 1-inch truffles and roll each in the chopped hazelnuts. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips and cacao butter together slowly in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler).
- Using a fork dip truffles, one at the time, in the melted chocolate and set in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate until chocolate hardens.
Nutrition per serving
*This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.