If you're looking for a healthy and delicious Paleo banana muffin recipe made with almond flour, these Banana-Walnut Muffins are a must try! They are are moist, soft, full of banana flavor and crunchy walnuts, great for breakfast. This recipe is also Gluten-free and Dairy-free.
Just like my Almond Flour Banana Muffins, these banana muffins are unlike any other you might have seen because it uses a blend of whole food ingredients such as almond flour, avocado oil and fresh lemon juice.
The texture of these delicate muffins is soft, light, and they are super moist.
The walnuts add crunch to these divine muffins, while the addition of coconut flakes enhances the texture adding a bit of chewiness as well.
These are baked to perfection and unlike other grain-free and gluten-free recipes, these Paleo banana muffins don't stick to the paper baking cups, and they rise well during baking.
Using a type of bananas that you really like is also important. For instance, I use Apple Bananas in all my baking. These bananas are hard to find in some areas, but they enhance the flavor of baked goods so much that it's worth looking for them at local farmers markets or grocery stores.
The more ripe your bananas are, the sweeter your muffins will be. You can taste the batter before you bake and if you prefer your muffins sweeter, you can add more honey or other sweetener of choice to taste. Just be sure to not overmix the batter too much. I find that when you overmix any batter or dough that uses almond flour it becomes a little oily.
This recipe came from my need to have a quick snack that gives me energy before I go surfing in the mornings besides my usual hard boiled eggs. They are light and not overly sweet, and so in my opinion they are the perfect grab-and-go snack.
Take 15 minutes from your day and give this recipe a try. I know you won't regret it 😉
P.S. As always, please let me know in the comments below what you think of this recipe. Do you like it? If not I still want to know! Your feedback is valuable to me so that I can improve my baking next time for you 🙂
Don't forget to check out the recipes in my cookbooks as well!
- 2 cups (224 grams) blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed*
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup coconut flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with baking cups. In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the bananas, egg, avocado oil, vanilla, honey, and lemon juice.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently mix the dry and wet ingredients. Don't overmix.
- Fold the walnuts and coconut flakes into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup ¾ full. Optional - top your muffins with a chopped walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 22 minutes.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.