Inspired by my Coconut Cream Pie recipe, I decided to create a similar dessert but with a dark chocolate crust and a creamy strawberry coconut custard. The crust is a delicious combination of chocolate, almonds and pecans, while the filling is a light, healthy blend of coconut milk, unsweetened shredded coconut and vanilla extract. Topped with fresh strawberries and drizzled with dark chocolate this is a dessert of pure decadence!
Strawberry Coconut Cream Pie With Dark Chocolate Almond Crust
Strawberry Coconut Cream Pie
- remove pit from dates and process in a food processor until a creamy paste forms
- mix the date paste with the chopped pecans, almond flour, cacao powder and vanilla extract
- spread the mixture on the bottom and sides of two 4.75-inch removable bottom tart pans
- in a saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk, egg, arrowroot powder, honey and salt
- heat the mixture slowly over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens
- let mixture cool for 5 minutes, mix in the vanilla extract and shredded coconut and pour over the crust
- refrigerate until set. Garnish with fresh strawberries and melted dark chocolate
Recipe makes two 4.75 inch Strawberry Coconut Cream Pies. Cover and store in the refrigerator.