I am so excited to share this recipe today. These nutri-grain bars contain no grains at all and taste almost identical to the original Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars. They look similar too, don’t they? I have to say that shaping them was not the easiest thing, but well worth the effort.
Now I can truly say this is a healthy snack! The contrary is true with the original, so called healthy Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars. Check out the list of ingredient they use.
CRUST: WHOLE GRAIN OATS, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN B1 [THIAMIN MONONITRATE], VITAMIN B2 [RIBOFLAVIN], FOLIC ACID), WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SOYBEAN AND/OR CANOLA OIL, SOLUBLE CORN FIBER, SUGAR, DEXTROSE, FRUCTOSE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, WHEY, WHEAT BRAN, SALT, CELLULOSE, POTASSIUM BICARBONATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MONO-AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, WHEAT GLUTEN, NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, CARRAGEENAN, ZINC OXIDE, REDUCED IRON, GUAR GUM, VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN), FILLING: INVERT SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, BLUEBERRY PUREE CONCENTRATE, GLYCERIN, SUGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SODIUM ALGINATE, CITRIC ACID, METHYLCELLULOSE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MALIC ACID, BLUEBERRY JUICE CONCENTRATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED 40, BLUE 1 – Source
It is tiring just skimming through the words on the list….
My recipe is simple. The main ingredients for the crust are almond flour, arrowroot powder and flaxseed meal. The filling is simply blueberries, no sugar added. The recipe is the same as the Sugar Free Blueberry Butter I posted earlier this month.
Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars (grain, gluten, refined sugar free)
- in a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, flaxseed meal, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, banking soda and salt
- in a separate bowl whisk together the coconut oil, vanilla, honey and coconut milk
- mix wet and dry ingredients to form a dough and refrigerate for 2 hours
- roll the dough into a ball and press between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/4-inch thickness
- remove top piece of parchment paper, then cut dough into 3x2-inch rectangles with a pizza cutter or pastry chopper
- spoon approximately 2 teaspoons of the blueberry butter onto one side of each rectangle, leaving a 1/2-inch border
- carefully lift the empty side and fold, pressing the edges to closed
- sprinkle with ground flaxseed on top
- transfer onto baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 9-11 minutes, until lightly golden
- set on a wire rack to cool
Recipe makes 7 bars.