Lychee Ice Cream • paleo, gluten free, refined sugar free, soy free
It's summer time here in Hawaii and the Lychee trees are loaded with fruit this season.
If you are not familiar with this fruit, lychee is a sweet, juicy and nutritious fruit native to China.
Lychee contains great amounts of dietary fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
The fruit is known for being high in vitamin C and B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, and folates.
Lychee is also high in minerals such as potassium and copper and makes a great sweet snack this summer.
My friend has a lychee tree in his property and he gave me a bag full of these little fruit. I had to do something with them and since the weather has been so warm here, I decided the best thing would be to make some refreshing, cold ice cream.
This ice cream is light and sweet, and full of lychee flavor. The texture is also very creamy and smooth. There are no refined sugars added to this ice cream and it is full of healthy fats and antioxidants.
Lychee Ice Cream | paleo, gluten free, refined sugar free, soy free
- in a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the lychee for a couple of minutes and mash it gently with a potato masher or fork to break up the fruit
- add the coconut milk, heavy cream, arrowroot powder, honey, egg and salt and whisk until there are no lumps from the arrowroot and everything is combined
- continue to heat the mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens. The mixture should be thick enough just until it boils
- remove from stove and stir in the vanilla extract
- allow it to cool for one hour than refrigerate overnight
- process chilled mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacture's instructions
Recipe yields 1.5 quarts. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.