These almond cookies are quite amazing on their own. They have a soft, chewy consistency, a crispy edge and are 100% gluten and grain free.
THEN, there's the frosting... A blend of healthy fats from the avocados and cacao butter. The combination of the two make an incredibly smooth and creamy frosting that is not too sweet. For sure this is something that is not typical of other frostings... The raw cacao powder gives this frosting a rich dark chocolate flavor and increases the nutrients and vitamin content of these cookies. Did you know that the flavonoids found in dark chocolate increase blood flow to the brain, helping to improve your memory?! Yes, it is true...so go ahead and enjoy these cookies as a healthy snack!
The Almond Cookies are gluten and grain free, also dairy free and refined sugar free, made with almond flour, coconut milk, coconut oil, raw coconut palm sugar, vanilla and eggs.
Almond Cookies Topped With Chocolate Avocado Fudge Frosting
- in a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut palm sugar, baking soda and salt
- in a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla and egg
- combine wet and dry ingredients and gently mix with a rubber spatula to form a batter
- refrigerate batter for 30 minutes
- spoon ½ tablespoon size balls of the chilled batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then press with the palm of your hands to flatten the batter
- bake at 325°F for 17 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown
- set baking sheet on a wire rack and let cookies cool
Chocolate Avocado Fudge Frosting:
- melt the cacao butter in a double boiler over simmering water
- remove from heat and mix in the cacao powder, honey and vanilla
- in a blender or food processor, blend the chocolate with the avocado to form a creamy frosting. You can adjust the sweetness of the frosting to your liking by adding more honey.
- top each cookie with frosting using a small knife and serve
Recipe makes twenty two 2-inch cookies. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
This recipe was inspired by this post