These D E L I C I O U S cookies are quick and easy to make. If you are craving something sweet, or are pressed for time, you can have these cookies ready in just about 30 minutes. Yay!
These cashew cookies are soft and moist. The dough is rolled in chopped cashews which also gives these cookies a great crunch.
The main ingredients for the cookies are raw cashews, almond flour and butter. Of course I use and recommend you purchase a good quality butter made from grass fed cows like the brand Kerrygold (link below).
Butter made from grass fed cows is loaded with healthy fats and vitamins like vitamin A, D and K, and Conjugated Linoleic Acid. If you are sensitive to dairy, a good substitute for butter is ghee. Ghee, or clarified butter, should not cause any problems because all milk constituents have been removed in the process and it becomes dairy-free.
As for the dulce de leche, this recipe is dairy free and made free of refined, processed sugar. The main ingredients are raw coconut palm sugar and coconut milk. This recipe is a great alternative to traditional dulce de leche or caramel sauces and tastes amazing.
This is by far one of my favorite cookie recipes. So please give these a try and let me know what you think in the comments section below.
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup raw coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cups raw cashews
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons raw coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter, soften (or Ghee)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- bring the water and coconut palm sugar to a boil stirring the mixture constantly
- add the coconut milk, vanilla extract and salt and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly so that it doesn't burn. The mixture will start to thicken and turn darker in color.
- allow mixture to cool, then refrigerate for 30 minutes before filling each cookie
- preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- using a food processor, pulse ½ cup cashews until you get a fine flour like consistency
- coarsely chop the remaining ¼ cup cashews and set aside
- in a large bowl, mix together the cashew flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, arrowroot powder and salt
- in a separate bowl, whip together the egg, butter and vanilla extract using a hand or electrical mixer
- mix wet and dry ingredients together using a rubber spatula. Freeze dough for 20 minutes.
- roll chilled dough into balls. I used a medium cookie scoop which is about 1½ tablespoons of dough per ball.
- roll each ball in the chopped cashews
- using the back of a teaspoon or your thumb, press a thumbprint into the center of each ball
- bake cookies until the bottom and edges start to turn brown, approximately 15 minutes
- immediately after you remove the cookies from the oven, press the center of each cookie once again, then allow cookies to cool on a wire rack. Don't be alarmed if your cookies look oily. The butter will dry out as the cookies cool. This is what makes the cookies so moist and flavorful.
- fill each cookie with prepared dulce de leche and serve
Recipe yields 10 cookies.