These delicious Dulce de Leche Cashew Cookies are quick and easy to make in just about 30 minutes. They're the perfect crunchy thumbprint cookies filled with sweet homemade caramel made without refined sugar.
These cashew cookies are soft and moist. The dough is rolled in chopped cashews which also gives these cookies a great crunch.
The main ingredients for the cookies are raw cashews, almond flour and butter. Of course I use and recommend you purchase a good quality butter made from grass fed cows like the brand Kerrygold (link below).
Butter made from grass fed cows is loaded with healthy fats and vitamins like vitamin A, D and K, and Conjugated Linoleic Acid. If you are sensitive to dairy, a good substitute for butter is ghee. Ghee, or clarified butter, should not cause any problems because all milk constituents have been removed in the process and it becomes dairy-free.
As for the dulce de leche, this recipe is dairy free and made free of refined, processed sugar. The main ingredients are raw coconut palm sugar and coconut milk. This recipe is a great alternative to traditional dulce de leche or caramel sauces and tastes amazing.
If you are craving something sweet or are pressed for time, this recipe is perfect.
This is by far one of my favorite cookie recipes. So please give these a try and let me know what you think in the comments section below.
Dulce de Leche Cashew Cookies (Paleo, GF)
Dulce de Leche:
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup unrefined coconut sugar
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch fine himalayan salt
- ¾ cups raw cashews
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine himalayan salt
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter, soften (or Ghee)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Dulce de Leche:
- Bring the water and coconut sugar to a boil stirring the mixture constantly.
- Add the coconut milk, vanilla and salt and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly so that it doesn't burn. The mixture will start to thicken and turn darker in color.
- Allow mixture to cool, then refrigerate for 30 minutes before filling each cookie.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, pulse ½ cup cashews until you get a fine flour like consistency.
- Coarsely chop the remaining ¼ cup cashews and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cashew flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, arrowroot powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, butter and vanilla using a hand or electrical mixer.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together using a rubber spatula then freeze dough for 20 minutes.
- Roll chilled dough into balls using about 1 ½ tablespoons of dough per ball (I use a medium cookie scoop).
- Roll each ball in the chopped cashews.
- Using the back of a teaspoon or your thumb, press a thumbprint into the center of each ball.
- Bake cookies until the bottom and edges start to turn brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Immediately after you remove the cookies from the oven, press the center of each cookie once again, then allow cookies to cool on a wire rack.
- Fill each cookie with dulce de leche and serve.
Nutrition per serving
*This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.