If I were to pick one of my top favorite recipes, these bars would definitely be high on the list. I made these bars the day before I left for my week long boat trip, where I work as an oceanographer. I really wanted to take these with me and share them with my coworkers, but my husband and I and a couple of friends ended up eating almost the entire pan right out of the oven. These bar are so good we could not help ourselves.
So this goes as a warning, if you do decide to make these bars the next time you have a party or just a craving for dessert, be careful because they are dangerously good and will not last long!
- 2¼ cups almond flour
- 6 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ⅔ cups arrowroot powder
- ½ cup raw coconut palm sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk, full fat
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- handfull sliced almonds
- in a large bowl mix together the almond flour, flaxseed meal, arrowroot powder, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt
- in a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract
- using your hands, mix wet and dry ingredients together gently to form the dough. I like using gloves for this process. Do not over mix.
- reserve ½ cup of dough and press the remaining evenly across the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking ban lined with parchment paper
- sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the crust
- cover chocolate chips with sliced strawberries, then drizzle with lemon juice (see photo below)
- make the crumble topping by mixing with your hands the sliced almonds with the reserved ½ cup dough. Scatter crumbs evenly over the strawberries.
- bake at 350°F for 18 minutes, then lower heat to 325°F and bake for another 10 minutes until lightly golden
- set pan over a wire rack to cool, then cut into squares
Recipe serves about 10 people. Keep refrigerated.