Banana Poppy Seed Cake with White Chocolate Vanilla Bean Frosting • Paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free.
Here is a new way to use those extra bananas you have lying around and turn them into a delicious, soft and moist cake. Adding some poppy seeds, gives the cake a great crunch and some texture.
This recipe is made free of refined sugars or flour and is topped with a dairy free, creamy white chocolate frosting.
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup raw coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bananas, mashed
- ½ cup coconut milk, full fat
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup cacao butter, shaved into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- water or milk of your choice for thinning the frosting, about 2-4 tablespoons
- pinch of salt
- in a large bowl mix the almond flour, flaxseed meal, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, poppy seeds and salt
- place the banana, coconut milk, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla extract in a food processor and process until everything is combined
- using a rubber spatula, mix dry and wet ingredients together to form a batter. Do not over mix.
- line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, covering all 4 sides then pour the mixture evenly in the pan
- bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 30 minutes
- set pan on a wire rack and allow cake to cool
- process all frosting ingredients in a food processor, except for the water (or milk), until creamy and smooth
- add water or milk, 1 tablespoons at the time, until the desired consistency is achieved
- spread icing evenly over the cake
Recipe serves 10+ people.