It is orange season here in Hawaii… I have so many of them that I decided to dehydrate some and also make some desserts with them. Here is a Paleo friendly version of marmalade made with no refined sugars.
- 5 medium sized oranges
- 4 tbs raw honey (you could use less or more honey depending how tart you like the marmalade)
- boil the oranges whole for about 8 minutes in a large pot of water
- remove from heat, strain the water, and let the oranges cool
- once cooled, cut each orange in half and remove the seeds. Do this over a bowl to save all the juice that drips out. Pull out the meat of the orange, cutting away from the center part of the orange (the white part that runs down the middle). Set aside the skins for later.
- take the skins and dice them up into very small pieces (I used the skin of only 1 orange because my oranges were already a little bitter)
- put the orange juice, flesh and diced skin into your blender and blend until everything is combined
- bring the mixture to a low boil in a pot, allowing it to simmer and cook down for about 2 minutes
- add the honey and stir well until all is combined
- continue to simmer the mixture for about 25 minutes, stirring every once in awhile
- once the mixture begins to solidify and become thick stir it more consistently to keep it from burning
- you will know when it is done when you draw a rubber spatula through the center and it creates a hole that will stay open for a few seconds and then fill back in. Once this happens remove from the heat and it will continue to harden as it cools
- if you need to change the consistency once it cools in case you make it too thick you can easily do so by adding water or more orange juice
Recipe makes about a ½ cup of marmalade