I have been meaning to post this recipe for ages now! I make these coconut popsicles all the time, and they are one of my favorite healthy treats to have ready in my house. I love them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Anytime of the day they are the perfect cold snack for me.
They are light, refreshing, not too sweet, and super creamy. The fresh coconut meat not only adds nutrients to this recipe, it also deepens the coconut flavor and adds a great crunch the these popsicles.
Mature coconuts are easy to find in most grocery stores. Young coconuts have a very soft meat inside, so make sure to get mature coconut which has thick meat inside. Simply grab a hammer and break it in pieces. Then using a knife carefully pry it around the edges until the meat comes loose. In case you can’t find fresh coconut to buy, you can substitute it for unsweetened dried coconut flakes.
I am sure you all know this, but coconut is loaded with healthy essential medium-chain triglycerides, a type of saturated fat that is easily digested and metabolized by the body. Not only that, coconut is loaded with antioxidants and has some amazing therapeutic properties to it. These are also low in carbs and the nutritional info is posted below in the recipe card. That’s why this is one of my favorite healthy Paleo snacks 🙂 Enjoy!
Paleo Coconut Popsicles (dairy/gluten/egg-free)
- 1/2 cup mature fresh coconut meat, chopped (or unsweetened dried coconut flakes)
- 1 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons raw honey, or any sweetener of your preference
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch fine Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin, or agar agar**
- 2 tablespoons water
- Add the water and gelatin to a large bowl.
- Gently bring the coconut milk to a boil over medium heat. Pour the boiling milk into the bowl with the gelatin and whisk until the gelatin dissolves Then whisk in the honey, vanilla and salt.
- Distribute the chopped coconut meat in the popsicle mold, then fill each cavity with the milk.
- Freeze for about 5 hours or overnight before removing popsicles from mold.