Valentines day is next week and what better way to impress your loved ones with some handmade chocolate truffles? These handmade chocolate truffles are easy to make and above all, they are refined sugar free, dairy free and low in carbs.
Update: I served these last night to some friends for dessert after dinner and I got comments like “wow, this is the best chocolate I’ve ever had”… I am so happy and honored by these words. These were definitely one of my favorites too. If anybody makes these, please let me know what you think.
- 1 can of good quality coconut milk (full fat)
- 3 tbs of raw honey
- 4 tbs raw cacao powder (unsweetened)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2.5 tbs cacao butter
- 3.5 tbs raw cacao powder
- 1 tbs raw honey
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- mix the coconut milk and the honey in a sauce pan
- bring milk to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You will notice the mixture getting thicker and after 2 hours it should be thick enough so that it does not run off the spoon easily, and has a consistency similar to sweetened condensed milk.
- mix in the cacao powder and vanilla extract and cook under medium-heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly so it does not burn. When the mixture starts to release off the bottom of the pan and has a very thick consistency remove from the stove. and let it cool
- place it in the fridge for about 2 hours. It is important it is cool before you roll it.
- remove from fridge, line your hands with butter and start rolling the truffles into balls
- place truffles back in the fridge and go onto making the chocolate shell
- melt the cacao butter over a double boiler until it reaches 122°F/50°C
- add the cacao powder, honey and vanilla and mix until all combined and the mixture reaches 122°F/50°C
- now remove the truffles from the fridge and dip each truffle in the chocolate shell mixture.
- place each truffle on a sheet lined with parchment paper and let them cool and harden at room temperature or in the fridge
Recipe makes about 15 truffles