Traditionally, scones made with white flour have a crumbly texture and are slightly hard and dry on the inside, but not these chocolate chip scones! These have a much more tender and moist consistency on the inside, almost like a soft, buttery chocolate chip cookie.
The method of preparing this recipe is similar to traditional scones. The main difference here is that these are made with no grains or refined flours. Instead, a blend of almond flour and arrowroot starch is used. These wholesome flours are then combined with healthy fats from organic, grass-fed butter and full fat greek yogurt. They are lightly sweetened with raw coconut palm sugar and mini dark chocolate chips.
Before you make this recipe I have to warn you that they taste so irresistible that you will be tempted to eat the whole batch!
Chocolate Chip Scones (gluten & grain free, Paleo/Primal)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, arrowroot powder, coconut palm sugar and salt.
- Using a fork, mix the butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt and egg.
- Using a fork, stir wet and dry ingredients together, just until combined. Do not overwork; the dough should be crumbly.
- Transfer dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and form it into a 6-inch circle.
- Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut into wedges. Gently separate each piece on the baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 10 to 15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.
- Set baking sheet on a wire rack and allow scones to cool.
Recipe serves 10+ people.