Paleo Dairy-free Chocolate Ice Cream made with homemade coconut milk.
Using fresh coconut meat to make coconut milk at home is the secret to giving this ice cream a delicious flavor.
I like using the coconut meat from a mature coconut, but you can also use dry shredded coconut if you prefer. Store bought coconut milk from can will also work for this recipe (you'll need 2 cups). Just make sure to get the full fat version to give your ice cream more flavor and a creamier consistency.
If you plan to freeze your ice cream and serve it later, I suggest adding 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder. This will make your ice cream creamier and prevent ice crystals from forming after you freeze it.
Chocolate Ice Cream - sugar and dairy free
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cup fresh coconut meat, chopped (or unsweetened dry shredded coconut)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey, add more if you like it sweeter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 eggs
- pinch fine himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Blend the water with 1 cup of fresh coconut meat (reserve ½ cup) in a high speed blender.
- Strain the coconut milk into a large bowl using a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer.
- Add the coconut milk, honey, vanilla, cacao powder, eggs and salt to your blender and pulse to combine ingredients.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacture's instructions.
- Mix reserved coconut meat into ice cream and sprinkle top with cacao nibs.
Nutrition per serving
*This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.