For this recipe I combined two of Hawaii’s exotic fruits, pineapple and coconut. Chunks of fresh pineapple and coconut turned this recipe into a truly indulgent ice cream.
This ice cream not only has a rich tropical flavor, it is also creamy and smooth. I was able to achieve this texture by preparing a fresh batch of coconut milk and combining that with an egg, arrowroot powder, vanilla and raw, unrefined honey. The result was simply delicious! Enjoy.
Note: Instead of making your own coconut milk using unsweetened shredded coconut and water, you can use 2 ½ cups of full fat coconut milk from a can. Also, I was able to buy a mature fresh coconut that had very thick meat inside. Alternatively, you can add dried coconut flakes to your ice cream.
Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream (Dairy Free, Paleo)
- begin by making the fresh coconut milk by blending the water and shredded coconut in a blender for 2 minutes. Strain the milk into a medium saucepan using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth (this should yield 2 1/2 cups of coconut milk). Alternatively, you can use 2 1/2 cups of full fat coconut milk from can.
- whisk in the arrowroot powder until dissolved, then mix in the egg, raw honey and salt
- bring mixture to a light boil slowly over medium heat, stirring frequently
- once it starts to bubble, remove from heat and mix in the vanilla extract
- refrigerate overnight and process the chilled mixture in your ice cream maker
- mix the chopped pineapple and coconut meat into the ice cream and serve
Recipe yields 1 quarts. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.