My cravings for peanut butter lately have been in full force, so I whipped up these "Peanut" Butter Truffles that contain no peanuts. They are made with sunflower seed butter, also known as sunbutter, which tastes almost identical to real peanut butter. How cool is it that there is always a substitute for inflammatory foods that taste delicious!? I personally choose not to eat peanuts because I tend to avoid all legumes and for some of the facts that Mark Sisson presents in his article "How Bad is Peanut Butter, Really?"
These truffles also taste awesome with almond butter and you can substitute any kind of nut butter for the sunflower seed butter. Adjust the amount of sweeter to your liking and enjoy!
"Peanut" Butter Truffles (grain, dairy, peanut free, paleo)
- 5 tablespoons sunflower seed butter, a.k.a. sunbutter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- pinch fine Himalayan salt
- ¼ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips, dairy/soy-free brand
- 1 tablespoon cacao butter
- chopped almonds, optional
- Add sunflower seed butter, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, almond flour, flaxseed meal and salt to a large bowl. Please note that you may find a thin layer of oil in the sunbutter jar that separates from the butter and rises to the top. Be sure to mix oil and butter together before scooping into bowl.
- Using your hands mix until all ingredients are incorporated (I like using gloves when mixing so the oils from my skin do not get into the mixture).
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on a sheet of parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes (using 2 teaspoons for each truffle will yield about 14 truffles).
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler along with the cacao butter.
- Dip each truffle in the melted chocolate, one at the time, and place them back on the pan with parchment paper.
- Top with chopped almonds and refrigerate until the chocolate is firm. Keep refrigerated.
Recipe yields 14 truffles. Keep refrigerated.