This Coconut Chocolate Cake will satisfy your chocolate cake cravings! It is moist with an intense chocolate and coconut flavor. Serve it as a healthy alternative at birthday parties and other special events. It will be a crowd pleaser for even kids and non-healthy eaters.
One of the best ways to make a cake is by combining two of the most delicious flavors on earth, and those of course are chocolate and coconut.
If you follow me regularly, you know these are two of my favorite foods and in my cookbook I described in detail all of the reasons why dark chocolate and coconut are two of nature’s super foods.
What does the cake taste like?
This decadent Coconut Chocolate Cake is just sweet enough to satisfy your chocolate cake cravings. It tastes like an almond joy candy bar but in cake form.
The chocolate cake layer is super moist and has an intense chocolate flavor. The cake is topped with a creamy coconut layer, and then the entire cake is covered with a dark and shiny chocolate glaze. This cake is simply delicious!
Yes! This Coconut Chocolate Cake is low-carb and paleo-friendly (grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free).
You can also further reduce the carb count in the recipe but using a low-carb sweetener that has a similar consistency to coconut sugar like xylitol. And for the honey you can use this low-carb maple syrup.
More cake recipes in my cookbook!
If you like this recipe and would love to have over 100 more dessert recipes made with real, nutrient dense ingredients (including more cake recipe) you need to check out my cookbook.
The book is called Living Healthy With Chocolate: Delectable Dessert Recipes That Will Change The Way You Eat, Think & Feel.
Click on the cover to learn more about it.
Paleo Coconut Chocolate Cake (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare your pan by lightly greasing the bottom and sides of an 8-inch removable bottom pan with coconut oil, then cut a piece of parchment paper and place it on the bottom of the pan.
- Mix together the almond flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently mix dry and wet ingredients together. Mix just until ingredients are combined, being careful not to over mix the batter.
- Spread batter evenly in the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 17 minutes. Set pan over a wire rack to allow cake to cool.
- Mix all ingredients for the coconut layer together until everything is well combined.
- Spread the mixture over the top of the cooled cake in an even layer, then freeze for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Slowly melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler).
- Once chocolate is melted, remove it from the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Mix until the glaze is smooth and shiny. Pour glaze evenly over the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until the glaze is set. Store cake in the fridge.