One of the best ways to make a cake is by combining two of the most delicious flavors on earth, and those of course are chocolate and coconut.
If you follow me regularly, you know these are two of my favorite foods and in my new ecookbook I described in detail, all of the reasons why dark chocolate and coconut are two of nature’s super foods.
This decadent Coconut Chocolate Cake is just sweet enough to satisfy your chocolate cake cravings and will also serve as a healthy alternative at birthday parties or other special events.
The chocolate cake layer is super moist and has an intense chocolate flavor. The cake is topped with a creamy coconut layer, and then the entire cake is covered with a dark and shiny chocolate glaze. This cake is simply savory and delicious!
Coconut Chocolate Cake • paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free
If you like this recipe and would love to have over 100 more savory dessert recipes made with real, nutrient dense ingredients, be sure to check out my new cookbook that was just released. The book is called Living Healthy With Chocolate: Delectable Dessert Recipes That Will Change The Way You Eat, Think & Feel.
Click on the cover below to learn more about it.
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup raw coconut palm sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup coconut milk, full fat
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup coconut milk, full fat
- ½ cup 70% dark chocolate
- ½ cup coconut milk, full fat
- prepare your pan by lightly greasing the bottom and sides of an 8-inch removable bottom pan with coconut oil, then cut a piece of parchment paper and place it on the bottom of the pan
- mix together the almond flour, cacao powder, coconut palm sugar and salt
- in a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract
- using a rubber spatula, gently mix dry and wet ingredients together. Mix just until ingredients are combined, being careful not to over mix the batter
- spread batter evenly in the pan and bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 17 minutes
- set pan over a wire rack to allow cake to cool
- mix all ingredients for the coconut layer together until everything is well combined
- spread the mixture over the top of the cooled cake in an even layer, then freeze for 10 minutes
- slowly melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler)
- once chocolate is melted, stir in the coconut milk and mix until the glaze is smooth and shiny
- pour glaze evenly over the top of the cake
- refrigerate for about 2 hours or until the glaze is set
Recipe serves 10+ people. Keep refrigerated.