It is Friday and here is my last recipe of the week that I am overly excited to share with everyone. I have been asked many times if I had a Paleo bread recipe and until now I had only developed sweet breads like Chocolate Zucchini Bread or a couple of versions of Banana Bread or Marble Bread.
Paleo, Gluten and Grain Free Sandwich Bread
I am excited about this recipe for Paleo Sandwich Bread because even though it is completely grain and gluten free, it tastes amazing and the consistency is moist and soft just like the sandwich breads we were used to before changing our diet. In my opinion though, there is also a tiny hint of sweetness to it and this is due to the almond flour being sweeter than grain wheat flour.
I cut the bread into thin slices and it is great toasted. I made a sandwich for my husband with bacon, lettuce and tomato and when I handed it to him he looked at me funny and after he took his first bite he asked me: "where did you buy this bread, can we eat bread now?" lol.... I told him I had made the bread with almond flour instead of wheat and he was thrilled.
If you are like me, you will cover the bread in a good raw gouda cheese, but go ahead and smother it with butter, olive oil, jams, or anything you like. Enjoy it and as always please leave your comments and feedback below.
A special note on dairy: I made this bread with dairy (butter and greek plain yogurt) so technically some people would go against it being called Paleo. With the knowledge we now have today we should know that there are many benefits to consuming dairy made from organic, grass-fed animals. Butter is an extremely good source of fat and loaded with vitamin A, D and K, and Conjugated Linoleic Acid. Yogurt contains live and active bacteria that are beneficial and keep your digestive system clean and provide food for the friendly bacteria that reside there. On top of that, the live active probiotic bacteria in yogurt can rev up your immune system and reduce your risk of yeast infection, prevent allergy symptoms and naturally increase your metabolism. Not all yogurts are made the same though, so you need to look for these words on the label: "contain active cultures", "active yogurt cultures", or "living yogurt cultures".
In case you can not consume dairy, you can substitute the butter for ghee and the greek yogurt for *coconut cream.
Paleo Sandwich Bread
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon whole golden flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, or ghee, coconut oil, palm shortening
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup greek plain yogurt, or dairy-free yogurt, coconut cream*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease or line an 8.5 x 4.5-inch medium loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, flaxseed meal, salt, baking soda and arrowroot powder.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and let cool for 5 minutes. Whisk melted butter together with the eggs, apple cider vinegar and yogurt.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently mix wet and dry ingredients to form a batter being careful not to over mix or the batter may get oily. Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle top with flax seeds.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 25 minutes.
- Let bread cool on a wire rack, cut into thin slices and serve.