After many requests for posting more savory recipes, I’m excited to share with you today one of my favorite soup recipes. I make this soup quite often and I just love it.
I remember the first time I made it, my husband thought this would taste like carrots and he wouldn’t like it. After trying, he loved it and now this is one of his favorite soups as well.
This soup is perfectly spiced with apple sauce, turmeric and cumin, sausages and chicken stock. This blend works really well together, and this soup is delicious. It’s so good, I could seriously eat it everyday! It’s light yet filling, and it doesn’t give you that heavy, full feeling after you eat it.
Sausages work well in this soup because it adds that specific sausage flavor and spice. I make my soup with an organic chicken-apple sausage I get from Costco, but any sausage you like works in this recipe too. Sometimes I make it with shredded beef or chicken which are also delicious options. If carrots are not your favorite you can substitute them with pumpkin and it also tastes amazing.
If you are vegan you to can make this too! Simply substitute the chicken stock with vegetable stock, and omit adding the sausage.
This Carrot-Apple soup is super healthy, low in carbs, and great if you are doing the Whole30 or eat Paleo like me. I hope you guys love it like I do, and it becomes a favorite in your home as well. After you make it let me know how it goes. Looking forward to hearing from you!
- 2 lbs (900g) carrots
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 small jalapeño
- 5 sausages
- 6½ cups chicken stock
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons tumaric
- 1½ teaspoons salt*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut the carrots in half or in thirds depending on how big they are. Also cut 1 sausage in half, and all of the others cut into slices.
- Chop the garlic and jalapeño, and sauté them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 2 minutes over medium-heat. Add the carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, turmeric and salt and let it cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock, apple sauce and the sausage half's, and stir. Place the lid on the pan and allow the carrots to cook until they soften, about 30 to 40 minutes over medium-heat. You can speed up this process by making this in a pressure cooker.
- In the meantime, sauté the sausages in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until they brown, over medium-heat.
- Once the carrots are finished cooking and are soft, remove the sausage half's. Slice them and mix them with the sautéed sausages in the skillet.
- Using an immersion hand blender, puree the carrots in the pan. You can also use any blender you have. Add the carrots and stock to your blender and blend to puree everything.
- Mix in the sausages with the carrot puree and serve.