Oh man, can I just say this Blueberry Butter is heavenly!? The consistency is smooth, creamy and tastes so much better than traditional jam! There is absolutely no need to add any type of sweetener to this recipe. Blueberries are naturally super sweet and when cooked down the sugars seem to caramelize intensifying the flavors of the fruit and giving this jam an incredible taste. Use as a topping for homemade ice creams, chocolate brownies, spread over homemade sandwich bread or crackers, or just enjoy it by itself.
- 2½ cups blueberries, frozen and thawed (for fresh blueberries, see notes below)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons arrowroot powder
- puree the thawed blueberries in a food processor or bender. *If you are using fresh blueberries please see notes below.
- whisk the water, lemon juice and arrowroot powder in a medium saucepan then add the blueberry puree
- bring mixture to a boil slowly over medium heat, stirring frequently then simmer until it thickens, approximately 25 minutes. You will know when it is done when you draw a rubber spatula through the center and it creates a hole that will stay open for a few seconds and then fill back in. Once this happens remove from the heat.
- return mixture to the blender and process for a few seconds or use a hand blender if you have one directly in the saucepan
- let it cool before you store it. As it cools, it will continue to thicken. If your butter becomes to thick, add a little water. You can also return it to the stove and cook it longer if you want a thicker butter.
Recipe yields approximately 1 cup. Keep refrigerated.